Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Post For All My Friends and Dotcomrades:

Isn't it neat how language is always changing? Check out these brand-new words as compiled by Cramer-Krasselt, a Chicago-based ad/PR agency. It's a list I can relate to pretty well, as just today I did some info snacking, I "blacked out" when I took Zach to school because I left my cell phone at home (intentionally!), and I love all my dotcomrades.

1.Luxcession: v. - As the economy continues to hit consumers' wallets affecting their purchasing choices, many mass-class luxury items are also taking a hit.

2.Dotcomrade: n. - A friend or acquaintance that you met online but have never met in person.

3.Greenwashing: n. - The practice of bogus environmental marketing.

4. Info Snacking: v. - Wasting time at work by surfing the Web.

5. Blacking Out: v. - To turn off any device that people can reach you with (cell phone, two-way, computer, home phone, morse code, etc.) in order to avoid someone.

6. Compunicate: v. - To chat with someone when you are in the same room, each on separate computers, and you talk via Instant Messenger instead of speaking to them out loud, in person.

7. Defriend: v. - To remove somebody from your established list of contacts, considered the ultimate snub on social network.

8. Generica: n. - Features of the American landscape that are exactly the same no matter where you go such as strip malls and fast food places.

9. Mouse Potato: n. - The online generation's answer to the couch potato.

10. Googleganger: n. - Another individual with the same name as you whose records and/or stories are mixed in with your own when you Google yourself.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. These are so interesting! I love the 'mouse potato'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to hear your opinion on greenwashing. I read your post your personal blog about the greenhouse effect. I keep joking with Hubby about a conspiracy theory, and now that you-know-who is in office, the greenhouse effect is now in reverse, because we are having excessive winter with below normal temperatures. Have been for weeks. We were greenwashed. :)

    ReplyDelete