Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Blogging About Blogging: Anybody Out There With Answers?

Hello, my name's Reese and I used to be a blogger.

Well, maybe I still am. But you couldn't tell by the number of post I've done in the past few weeks, right? These long, awkward blogger pauses are the reasons that people invented recurring, daily blogging events (Wordless Wednesday, Fill-In Friday, etc.); some of us just don't have anything interesting to say every day. I've actually resorted to shoving needles in my feet in the hopes of achieving good post material.

What makes one blog more interesting than the next? Bloggers and their followers are generally bound together by common interests (organizing, cooking, charity work, motherhood), or by real-life relationships (that's why friends and family are our most faithful followers). In the event that a blog is followed by people that aren't family, friends, or don't relate through common interest, humor is often what draws readers. (Every now and then I wish I had the brains and biting wit of Ann Coulter. I'd have thousands of readers to my weekly posts. I'd probably have as many book deals as she has also.)

For me, I'm standing at a blogging fork-in-the-road. To blog or not to blog, that is the question.

What's the answer? I'm still waiting for Heather's email on the subject. Until then, I'd like to ask you, if you're a blogger:

  • What motivates you to blog?
  • How long have you been blogging, and how long do you anticipate keeping it up?
If you're a regular reader, to this or any other blogs:

  • What keeps you coming back?
  • How long does a blog remain stagnant before you give up and stop visiting?
Heather and I have always tried to cover a variety of topics, not purposefully, but just to use the blog as a reflection of our daily lives. If we're thinking about Johnny Depp, we'll probably blog about Johnny Depp. If we are getting misty eyed while we think of our kids, you'll probably be reading about it within a day or two. When school and work and family obligations overwhelm us, you probably won't hear about it- in fact you might not hear about anything from us for awhile. The trouble with that is that when a blog isn't updated regularly people stop visiting, so when we decide to reappear and post again, there might not be anyone around to read it... and what's the point of having a blog that no one reads?

I love our blog and don't think we're anywhere near throwing in the towel. It's just that I'm thinking about blogging, so I'm blogging about blogging.

Got that?!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. After my blog goof-up the other day, I was not around for a day or so, and so I didn't see this. Probably a little not funny that you post about this and don't get comments right away...

    I started blogging to keep my family, and friends that were far away (once I told them about the blog, some of which I still haven't), posted about our family. I'm horrible about sending pictures, so this was sort of my easy way out. I like to write, although not in a formal journal, but this is kind of like that, so I have a record of what we've been doing without actually recording it formally. Plus I get to be a little funny along the way.

    A few weeks ago Robert was looking back on the blog at work trying to find a picture to show someone, and when he got home he mentioned how much stuff was on there and what a great record/keepsake it was. That's really one of the best compliments I could have received from him.

    I'm motivated to blog from my daily life, my OCD, and my kids. I don't see those things changing for a while. I have a little list of things I want to blog about at some point and I don't want to forget to do it, so that helps me too.

    I follow your blog, and that way I know if you've done a post, which is good for when you've taken a blogging break. I think some people probably read it and don't comment as well, so it's difficult to know sometimes.

    I hope you don't throw in the towel. I'd hate to see you nekkid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! That last line made me laugh. THAT'S one of the reason I continue blogging-- I meet people who brighten up my life!

    I started blogging when I lived in Germany and felt very isolated. On many days it was the only significant communication I had. Now that I have friends and live in a town, it doesn't feel as necessary as it once did and I find that I have less time for blogging.

    Still, I think Heather and I will start attempting to blog every day again like we did last year.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Cheers!

    ~Reese

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey reese....i keep coming here and trying to leave a comment and then my babies start crying or something beckons my immediate attention...

    ahhhhh......the blogging question....i ask myself this nearly every week since i started (nearly 4 1/2 years ago!)
    i think my personnal reasons for blogging keep changing....i started cuz i like to write...and then i had a baby and it was winter so i was very isolated....and then it helps me understand my thoughts....or work out things i am struggling with....and connects me to people i can learn a lot from....and maybe i have something valuable to add to others lives too?

    i don't know...sometimes i step away but somehow i am always drawn back....
    again....

    :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well-said! And if you've been to Chocolate Ink lately, you'll notice I've had the same problem. :) But to answer your questions:

    I would say my need for a creative writing outlet, and most recently, to communicate with friends and family who live elsewhere are my motivations for blogging. (I wish it were a bit more specific.)

    I've been blogging a little over a year, and plan to do it indefinitely. I'd love to do it professionally someday...when my kids are a little older and I have time to really carve out a niche.

    Have missed you guys (not necessarily from your absence, but mine!). Hopefully will be back soon.

    ReplyDelete