Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Politics and Life

I don't like to talk politics with people- even though I have strong political views- simply because it's such a dividing issue. I am first and foremost a Christian, not the member of a political party. All my political views have their foundations in my Christian beliefs.

With that in mind, I've decided to post a statement by Catholic Cardinal Egan. He is addressing comments by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to Tom Brokaw. Here is her comment:


Brokaw: …“I if [Obama] were to come to you and say ‘help me out here, Madam Speaker, when does life begin,’ what would you tell him?

Pelosi: “I would say that as an ardent practicing Catholic this is an issue that I have studied for a long time, and what I know is over the centuries the doctors of the Church have not been able to make that definition. And St. Augustine said three months. We don’t know. The point is it that it shouldn’t have an impact on a woman’s right to chose.”


Here is Cardinal Egan's statement:


Like many other citizens of this nation, I was shocked to learn that the Speaker of the House of Representatives of the United States of America would make the kind of statements that were made to Mr. Tom Brokaw of NBC-TV on Sunday, August 24, 2008. What the Speaker had to say about theologians and their positions regarding abortion was not only misinformed; it was also, and especially, utterly incredible in this day and age.

We are blessed in the 21st century with crystal-clear photographs and action films of the living realities within their pregnant mothers. No one with the slightest measure of integrity or honor could fail to know what these marvelous beings manifestly, clearly, and obviously are, as they smile and wave into the world outside the womb. In simplest terms, they are human beings with an inalienable right to live, a right that the Speaker of the House of Representatives is bound to defend at all costs for the most basic of ethical reasons. They are not parts of their mothers, and what they are depends not at all upon the opinions of theologians of any faith. Anyone who dares to defend that they may be legitimately killed because another human being “chooses” to do so or for any other equally ridiculous reason should not be providing leadership in a civilized democracy worthy of the name.

Edward Cardinal Egan

Archbishop of New York


The Bible begins with God breathing life into man. I believe that human life is of the utmost importance to God and that the arrogance associated with our "right to choose" will carry very heavy consequences when we face God. It is one issue that I won't brush aside when considering a candidate. I want to encourage you who are Christian to take this issue of unborn life into your considerations when you vote in November.


Cheers!



post signature

2 comments:

  1. I saw that interview. What a sad, sad thing to watch...she not wanting to say anything that would side with any pro-life people. No spine, no convictions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I actually have nothing more to say to that. What that lady said is shocking to me. I am so out of the loop politically that I have no clue who that lady is. One of the guys I work with is very pro-choice, and it sickens me to hear his reasoning and all the stupid stuff that is said to support pro-choice.

    Thanks for posting this Reese.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete