Thursday, January 31, 2008

Inspire Your Heart With Art Day

Today is "Inspire Your Heart With Art Day" so I'm posting one of my all-time favorites: "The Singing Butler" by Jack Vettriano. I bought a print of this and it was hanging above my bed in the house-before-last (it was waiting in the wings to be hung above the bed in the last house, but it sadly never made it there). I loved it from the first time I saw it in the Coffee Mill at Bitburg, and when I set out to buy a picture for my room I thought If they have that ONE, I'll definitely buy it. Well, oddly enough, it was at the furniture store waiting for me (I had never seen it there before, or since).

I love the colors, the romance implied, and the curiosity behind the images. What are they doing? Is the gentleman trying to impress the lady? Are the maid and butler happy to help their employer in this way? Are they mentally cursing him? Or are they lovingly devoted to him and his beloved wife, maybe the latter who is dying or newly pregnant and celebrating with her husband. Why is the lady barefoot? Where are her shoes? Wherever they are, are they black or red? How can they enjoy themselves in a dance when they are so obviously putting others out? What's in the bag on the ground; a picnic? Most importantly, what is the butler singing? How would we know he was singing, if not for the title? (I would have assumed the music was in the minds of the dancers, since it must be in my mind as I watch them.)

How about you? Is there any art that inspires you, in one way or another?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE art by Akiane. She's this remarkable teenage girl who has been painting since she was like 7 or something. She has a beautiful story too. Other than that, I love paintings of the forest and I also am drawn to paintings that remind me of Germany and Italy.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete