Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Colonies of Kosovoans

When you move into a new house its not uncommon to find nests of birds or wasps, families of mice, or swarms of termites infesting your new home. You plug up holes, set out traps, call an exterminator, whatever you need to get them out of your home.

But what happens if on your initial investigation of your new home you discover a colony of Kosovoans sitting on a mattress in your attic munching on sandwiches? That was the question facing a British man in West Bromwich, West Midlands recently. For the story, click here.

I must say the story cracked me up because of the term "colony of Kosovoans". What a funny way to put it! Not "several illegal immigrant families from Kosovo", but a colony of Kosovoans. Interesting. It may provide some insight into the feelings of the locals toward the illegal immigrants in their area. Makes me consider the language I would choose I was writing such a story...

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I guess that makes you wonder who's using your utilities the next time you get an inflated bill.

    Too bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is a strange term! In fact, I had to look closely to pronounce it correctly!

    ReplyDelete