Tuesday, June 3, 2008

English Scones

My son returned from UK Day at school, raving about some English scones he had eaten. I asked him to bring me the recipe, which he managed to do, and it is that recipe that I followed to make my scones. The recipe says it is from an English cook, passed down from her Aunt Bridie.

They are unlike the Irish and Scottish scones I've made, which are usually cut into triangles before baking, or a large circle of dough scored into wedges and baked then broken into triangles. These are much more like American biscuits, only heartier. I think it's because of the bread flour that is used. They are almost like dinner rolls in texture.

This is the first time I've come across a recipe that calls for baking powder and a rising or resting period before baking.

English Scones

  • 3 1/3 c bread flour
  • 2 T baking powder
  • pinch salt (I must confess to using about 3 large pinches! A pinch doesn't seem like enough for 13-15 scones.)
  • 1/4 c margarine or butter
  • 1 1/4 c milk
~Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
~Add margarine/butter and fine to a fine texture (I try to make the butter pieces vary from the size of raw rolled oats to small peas.)
~ Mix together to form a soft dough. You may need to add a feel drops of milk to pull it together.
~ Cover with a tea towel and let it rest for 20 minutes
~On a lightly floured surface, roll to about a 3/4" thickness. Cut out with 2" cutter and place on nonstick baking surface.
~Brush each scone with beaten egg.
~ Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
~Meanwhile, preheat over to 450 degrees.
~ Just before putting the scones in the oven, brush each one more time with the beaten egg.
~Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
~Makes 13-15 scones. Excellent served piping hot with butter and honey or jam.

~Reese

1 comment:

  1. Those look yummy! The ones you cooked when we were in Germany were amazing! You are so talented :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete