Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Trip: A Quick Summary- Pictures To Come

Thank you to all my blogging and non-blogging friends for the sweet birthday wishes! You warmed my heart!

I was planning daily posts while I was here in the US but silly me forgot the cable to upload my pictures from my camera. We tried taking the memory card out and inserting it in the memory card space on the computer (sorry for all this technical jargon-- you know me, the computer nerd! NOT!), but since hubby couldn't figure it out I know it can't be done. The pictures will have to wait.

The first day we were here we spent waiting around Firestone for word on the fate of our overheating van. We walked a couple of miles for lunch at Quizno's, drooled over the wonders in an American supermarket, and I bought a funky hat at a random shop. By the end of the day we knew our van would be in the shop for a few days so we hitched a ride back to our hotel with one of the mechanics.

For my birthday we rented a car and drove to Washington DC and spent the day snapping pictures outside the Capital and eating at Hard Rock Cafe. I'll tell you my interesting experience there when I have pictures to prove it.

Yesterday we were back in DC checking out the Washington Monument, the WWII memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, the Reflecting Pool at the Constitution Gardens, and the Lincoln Memorial. We saw the White House from afar; the Italian Prime Minister was there for a State dinner so these bulky cops were threatening to tackle anyone so much as taking a step in the direction of the President's abode. We saw the motorcade arrive, but there was a screen blocking his entrance into the WH from view of the public.

There was a smart and well-dressed man holding a sign next to us as we gazed the half-mile to the White House. He claims that the CIA has taken over many American companies and is using them to conquer capitalism. I intentionally avoided him, but Tim walked right up and gleaned as much info from the guy as possible. Tim has fun with stuff like that. The closest I got to anything CIA related was a hoodie with "CIA" in big letters across the front. When I wear it I'm "in" the CIA; when I tie it around my waist the CIA is on my tail. (Sorry for that stupid humor-- I just had to!)

Now it's time to look for flights home. I'll keep you updated. I can't wait to share my pictures. I've got some good ones!

My second coolest b'day present (the first is being with hubby): a new iPod Nano! I had a 80 GB iPod Classic but came to feel it was too bulky especially for use while working out. Not only that, despite filling it with every song, podcast and video I could get my hands on, I was only using about 1/3 of its capacity. I just can't use that much space. So I've upgraded/downgraded to the 16 GB Nano in Silver. I'm lovin' it! It's so cute and the features are amazing. I have to be careful to slide the hold button while I'm listening to it or my boys will sneak up and shake it to see it switch to a new song! LOL!



Cheers, lovely ladies! Have a great week!


post signature

6 comments:

  1. I thought you were already back for some reason...silly me. Have a safe flight back, and charge up that ipod so you can listen to it all the way back to England.

    ~ Kayren

    p.s. Too bad I wasn't still in VA because there I was only three hours away from D.C. and then you could have done one of your seven things before you die! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a blast! Can't wait to see your pics (and hear about your HRC experience).

    Oh-and I enjoyed your CIA joke:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayren- Oh, too bad! I'd have loved to meet up with you and check one off my list. I'm sure it would have been a blast!

    Lora- Thank you for appreciating my CIA joke. No one else around here did!

    :)

    ~Reese

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was pretty darn funny! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you were back too! Glad you are having fun - sounds like all places I'd like to visit. Love that Ipod too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great b-day celebration! I was in DC last summer and visited the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, WWII and Vietnam Memorials, and the Reflection Garden, too! And I even ate at that Hard Rock!! (We walked the whole thing while I was 7 months pregnant...in JULY!!! NOT FUN!!) If we can't meet in person, it's nice to know we've at least walked the same paths a bit! ;)

    Congrats on the Nano...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete