Thursday, July 24, 2008

Is This Weird?

One disadvantage to living in Europe for more than five years is that sometimes I'm not sure what's "normal" and what's oddly European. For example, I couldn't remember if people in my hometown parked in the road and if cars traveling on the road sometimes had to take turns in order to drive around the cars parked in the road. I'm told they don't generally do that, while I experience it every day. Food products, health and beauty products, gadgets and technology, tv shows, day-to-day behavior... I've lost touch with mainstream America.

So I wondered if this product I found at the English grocery store is unique to Europe or is also in America. Onken BIOPOTS Wholegrain yogurt has little kernels of cooked barley, wheat, oats, rye and rice so it's chewy. It boasts 3 different bio cultures, which is why I bought it. As my mom would say, "It's good for the gut." It's tasty, and great for the body, except that it's whole fat yogurt. A low fat version would be nice.

I really like yogurt with granola, so I guess this is about the same, only the grains are soft and chewy rather than crispy.

Anything else like this in America that you've seen?


post signature

2 comments:

  1. Wow...I haven't seen anything like that around here. Sounds...um, interesting.

    Also...I read that whole fat is GOOD for losing weight b/c the lowfat foods are usually filled with fillers and other "not-so-healthy" stuff to make up for the fat. You just can't eat as much of it...so I guess it's all in how you look at it. Just wanted to let you know you don't have to feel guilty for eating something NOT lowfat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the yogurt companies had a little separate section in the lid with granola you could sprinkle on top yourself after you opened it. I haven't looked for it in a while so I'm not sure if it's still on the market, but that way it would still be crunchy because it didn't sit in the yogurt all that time. It had one of those foil lids like the frosting with the sprinkles, where the foil separates the sprinkles in the raised lid. But you might not have that over there either.

    Funny the things we take for granted...

    ~ Kayren

    ReplyDelete